Oldham County is located to the north of Texas in the panhandle. The county has an estimated population of 2,000 and a territory size of 1,501 square miles, where only 0.9 square miles consists of water. The county was created in 1876 and is named after Williamson Simpson Oldham. It was organized in 1881. Oldham County depends on ranching, farming (in particular wheat), wind farms and the oil and gas industry.
Today the county seat is Vega, but when the county was organized the county seat was originally Tascosa, which at the time was one of the largest towns in the area. However, Tascosa was bypassed by the railroads and the county seat was moved to Vega in 1915. Today, Vega has an estimated population of 900.